Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Mystery of the Disappearing Comments

I've heard from several people lately that some comments posted to the blog are not appearing. Comments do come to us first for moderation (handled chiefly by Cat Rambo and occasionally by me), but unless they're spam or Beyond Obnoxious, we invariably approve them for posting. The comments that are getting lost in the ether never make it to the moderation stage. (Which is why I don't know how exactly often this has happened.) So I thought I'd better offer two pieces of advice to people wanting to post comments. First, make a copy of your post. (A hassle, I know, but it's even more of a hassle if you decide to go to the trouble of writing it a second time.) Second, if your comment doesn't appear within 8 hours of your having posted it, assume it's lost and either re-post, or drop me (or Cat) a line to confirm and then re-post.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Software, as you may have gathered by now, is something I swear at when it impinges on my consciousness. I've no idea what is up with the comments software.

1 comment:

Cat Rambo said...

If people who are losing comments could drop me a line and let me know if they're logging in through Blogger, OpenID, or supplying their name/URL or posting anonymously when those comments are being dropped, it would be useful data.