Monday, December 8, 2008

I want to be on Karl Rove's enemies list

By Nancy Jane Moore

On the Doonesbury page this morrning, there is a quote from Karl Rove:

There were people who never accepted the legitimacy of George W. Bush and acted accordingly. I'm going to name names and show examples.

My immediate response?

Pick me! [Waves hand in the air and jumps up and down.] Oh, please, pick me. I want to be included on that list.

Put me on the list of people who believed from the beginning:

  • The 2000 election was stolen;
  • Congress and the major media let Bush get away with acting like he had a mandate;
  • Bush did all the wrong things after September 11 (not to mention before September 11);
  • The War in Iraq was wrong, not to mention stupid;
  • The list of damage done by his policies -- from foreign relations to the environment and global warming, to civil and human rights, to the economy -- is so large as to be almost incomprehensible;
  • And he and Cheney should have been impeached and removed from office for high crimes (screw the misdemeanors).

If more people hadn't accepted Bush's legitimacy, we might not be in quite this bad a mess right now.

In fact, I have only one regret in my response to the Bush years. In December 2000, after the Supreme Court gave him the election on a 5-4 vote, I was angry and disappointed, but I also thought: "At least we live in a country that accepts the rule of law. At least there won't be rioting in the streets."

I was wrong. The U.S. should never have accepted Bush. We should have rioted in the streets.


[crossposted on Open Salon and In This Moment.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nancy: Where do I sign up to join you?

Jeff Ford

Nancy Jane Moore said...

Maybe we can put together a petition and send it to Rove. And to Garry Trudeau.